Also to be remembered is that to some people, until the internet,
keyboards were/are an alien thing.

USING ALL CAPS is "screaming" in "internet etiquette", but for some
people, using the SHIFT key is as strange as wiping their butt with the
left hand if they are RIGHT-HANDED. Try it sometime and you'll see what
I mean.

As a working journalist for many years, I often met novice writers who
wrote everything in UPPER CASE because it meant that they didn't have to
think about the shift key.

I know one Australian dealer who, until he got his girlfriend to type
most of his messages, typed EVERYTHING IN UPPER CASE because he NEVER
USED A KEYBOARD BEFORE.

I know one US dealer/collector, a very graven fellow, who while he is
perfectly capable of using a typewriter and churned out millions of
words for 60s fanzines is completely computer phobic and gets his wife
to answer all his emails.

I know of one novice collector who likes to lecture fellow collectors
about what they say and how they say it, and can't spell to save his
life on one forum, but on another forum demonstrates a completely
"different" command of the language where syntax and spelling appear to
be by another writer entirely.

there is also a whole internet generation who only use lower case and
never use the shift key even for proper nouns. they also use terms like
'prolly' instead of "probably". the end of a sentence doesn't mean that
they need an upper case letter to start the next sentence. they say LOL
(which means "lots of laughs" to their generation, but to my generation,
pre-internet, LOL meant "little old lady"...

There is also a whole new generation of texters (America is, for once,
lagging behind England, Australia and much of Europe in this
technological phenom) that have a whole other language and are already
developing hyper-extended thumb joints from using texting as their
primary form of communication.

And as for the US mail... sorry guys, but it has been a long time since
the "neither rain, hail sleet, nor snow" routine has meant anything.
Since 9/11, the US government has been inspecting mail, destroying mail
and employing mail "inspectors" who just might be very interested in
that item in your package, way beyond any work contract they have signed.

I wish it weren't so, but it's true. Things have changed.

Phil (or PHIL, or phil)... depending on what mood you're in.

JR wrote:

Al,

As you can see, several people have supported your claim that media
mail is being opened for "proper use" these days (simply because so
many eBay sellers are using it to ship things that were never intended
for the strict uses media mail class was designed for). Just another
good reason not to use media mail. Although I must say that a Xeroxed
copy of a magazine certainly *should* qualify for media mail status as
I understand it... but there's no point in fighting with the Post
Office (you never win). I just won't use media mail any more for all
kinds of reasons.

By the way, are you at all familiar with the internet
convention/courtesy that using a LOT OF ALL CAPITAL LETTERS in a
message is the internet EQUIVALENT OF YELLING or SCREAMING at people?
Don't you realize that it is considered QUITE RUDE to do so? More
IMPORTANT -- a lot of people will STOP READING your messages
completely if they contain with SO MANY ALL CAPS WORDS.

Just a suggestion.

-- JR