From: Phil Edwards Cinema Arts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Subject: Re: [MOPO] ANG LEE
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 12:40:29 +1100

I'd have to rate Ang Lee as one of the most interesting directors I've
ever met and/or interviewed. He was in Australia promoting THE WEDDING
BANQUET. At the time I was editing a local movie trade publication and
the publicist on the project invited me for a tete-a-tete dinner and
interview cruising Sydney Harbour. The distributor was desperate for
trade publicity for this completely unknown film and its director and as
the journal I edited went directly to exhibitors who took some notice of
our recommendations in the indie sphere it was decidedly with a vested
interest in their project. These things can be a drag for both sides,
but this was a  definite delight because Ang and discovered we both
LOVED movies and the way they worked.

Ang was charming and completely forthright about how the film was made
on a budget of about HALF the publicised figure ("How's anybody going to
want to see a film made for a hundred thousand dollars?" he said. And so
the budget for this already low budget movie was "increased" for
publicity purposes. Those that have seen it, or Ang's previous film
PUSHING HANDS and the later EAT DRINK MAN WOMAN, know that he is a
remarkably astute film maker.

What was fascinating... and this was only apparent later in his career
and subsequent films, was that when I asked him about what sort of films
he wanted to make, he said (albeit not verbatim without digging out my
original i/v tapes), "I want to make the best film I can in every genre.
I like all films. I want to make the best martial arts film I can. I
think there is a way of doing it that hasn't been done before, and I
want to make a western..." which he did long before BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN
in the sadly under-rated RIDE WITH THE DEVIL. Similarly, his THE ICE
STORM was somewhat dismissed, but I don't doubt for aminute was a major
influence on AMERICAN BEAUTY two years later.

Emma Thompson obviously recognised in Lee his ability to undertsand the
humanity of the characters in his work (and yes, even THE HULK has many
people who see beyond its CGI overkill and find it one of the more
fascinating studies of a "tormented superhero") and found him just right
for her screenplay of SENSE AND SENSIBILITY.

Lee is unquestionably one of the great directors, and one whose range
across many aspects of the medium of film is masterful. I have no doubt
that BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN is right up there with his best work. He's not
afraid of presenting confronting human emotions, and you don't need to
see BROKEBACK to see that. Get a hold of THE ICE STORM, also a film of
true emotional depth and issues that are never comfortable to deal with
- both in films or in life, but often have to be.

Phil

Susan Heim wrote:

Well........all this talk about stickin' a needle in your eye and rump
rangling.......I can't wait to see this movie now! And to think I was
just going to see it because I love Ang Lee and both the guys are cute!

Sue