Banning pictures from MoPo wasn't the real reason for blocking attachments
from the listserv. It was the danger of viruses being distributed to list
members as attachments.

In the case of Rich's post (and others) the use of HTML simply directs the
reader's computer via an embedded URL to a web site to retrieve the image.
Images are not actually part of the post. With many of us now connected to
the 'net all the time with high speed connections, our mail programs
automatically read the HTML e-mail just as they would any web page and
display the images based on the HTML code.

This shouldn't slow down the download of e-mail since the images are only
loaded when you view that message, that is open it in your e-mail program.

The only thing you can do to not see the HTML generated images is to read
your mail while off-line, then your program can't go out and retrieve them.
I believe you can also set your mail program to not display HTML or images.

I don't really have a problem with HTML e-mail like this since I get many
commercial ones every day in HTML format.

I haven't heard of any cases where viruses have been transmitted this way.
Does anyone know of such a case?

Scott
MoPo List Owner