Al Gore never invented the internet....

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Sent: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 7:18 PM
Subject: Re: [MOPO] Sending pictures through MOPO?

I do know how to "work" my email program, having been online since 1982... well
before Al Gore invented the internet and email became a commonplace activity. I
have my email program set to display pictures because it is necessary that I see
the images in business-related emails I receive. It's just that non-business
emails filled with pictures slow down my business operations (especially giant
megabyte file-size pictures, which I guarantee are going to happen if we embrace
pictures-in-messages). But, of course, I can set my email program so I only
check my MOPO messages at a specific time when the business stuff is over, so I
can accommodate people sending pictures if that's what everyone decides they
want to do, I'll adapt. Since MOPO has got along fine for 11 years without
sending pictures in the messages I don't see the point myself... we have huge
image archives at LAMP, Bruce's site and several other places like The Poster
Image Archive at:

http://www.hundland.com/posters/main.htm

Setting up a sub-folder to direct MOPO messages to would do nothing to eliminate
the download time. If I click on a message with a big image file embedded in the
HTML code, even if it's in a sub-folder, it will begin to download the images.
So, unless we come up with an identifier like "FA" to add to the beginning of
the subject line... perhaps something like "PIC" that would alert people that
the message contains pictures, checking MOPO mail -- even in a sub-folder --
would still trigger the download time issue.

But maybe have a "PIC" identifier in the subject line would be a good
solution... allowing those who wish to skip over messages with embedded pictures
in them to do so.

-- JR