Dave, clearly you did not read my response to John's original post. Here is what I posted in reply: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~

John:

And I'd like to see Federer, Nadal, the Williams Sisters, etc. play a tournament with wooden rackets. The problem is that there is no incentive for highly successful filmmakers to go 'guerilla' on us to prove your point. They could most likely do it. Spielberg made DUEL for $450,000 in 1971 which was likely about $200,000 in 1960 dollars and Christopher Nolan made MEMENTO for $5,000,000 40 years after PSYCHO which was likely close to $1,000,000 in 1960 dollars. Point being, we expand to our budgets personally and professionally. These guys are filmmakers no less than Hitchcock was. All nostalgia aside, John, I think your question is still interesting but I'd like to extend it to the group in this fashion where a certain Director did exactly what you propose:

In the 1940's, a director sought to prove to the studios that he could produce a film within the system on budget and on time. He not only came in on time but was under budget:

What was the film's title?  And who was the Director?

Those who know me have a built-in advantage.

Patrick

ps: I'm completely serious about wanting to see a 'wooden racket' tennis tournament!