As someone who's primarily a writer these days, you won't get me to
diminish the role of writers in making films.  But, alas, it is a director's
medium -- if in only that the studios tend to defer to the director.  The
budgets are set by the companies and the director -- no matter how big or
small or independent the company.  They say how much they'll spend, the
director argues for how much "he" needs.  And they'll tell the writer to make
changes if what he's written doesn't work with the budget.  (Of course, to a
great extent, you can shoot most anything on most any budget.  How good
the locations will look -- does it look like Hawaii or Descanso Gardens? --
or how good the effects are or how good the actors are (not that you can't
find good actors who don't charge a lot) will vary, but you can shoot the
script for the budget you have.

I've been told on very low budget projects that the company can't take a
picture that's under $10 million.  I tell them we can make it for $10 million.
 No problem.  It was designed for $5 million but we can spend more, hire
bigger name actors, pay ourselves more, do fancier effects, go on location
rather than the backlot, etc.  But they want you to come in with their budget
range already on paper.  They don't like the idea that you can change the
film expenses to match the budget...

Craig.