  From: Richard Halegua Comic Art
  To: Dave Rosen
  Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 3:39 PM
  Subject: Re: [MOPO] Bride of Frankenstein photo in "color."

  Dave

  is a photographer an artist??

  Rich

  At 12:27 PM 4/21/2009, you wrote:

    Rich, speaking for myself (Jeff may feel differently), I'm not saying that
painting an image digitally is not art. Some beautiful art has and is being
created digitally and I have no problem with that.

    What I'm saying is calling a completely digital process "hand-tinting" is
misleading. It implies the artist actually tinted by hand a hardcopy print or
photo, whereas the tinting is actually done digitally (it doesn't matter if the
artist uses a stylus) and then the result printed out. That's the distinction.

    As for more artists working digitally; of course it's happening, but to say
paints and brushes will become obsolete? I don't think so. I think there will
always be artists who work on real surfaces with real (not virtual) materials.
I certainly hope so.

    Technology in the arts, used intelligently, can broaden our horizons but it
needn't necessarily eliminate or exclude other, earlier ways of doing things.
Did the electric guitar make the acoustic guitar obsolete? Nope. Drummers still
bang on real drums, potters still throw pots by hand, real actors still strut
on real stages. Despite technological developments, these things still go on.
Human self-expression needn't be reduced, limited or made obsolete by new
technology.

    Dave