From: MoPo List [mailto:mop...@listserv.american.edu] On Behalf Of Scott
Burns
Sent: Saturday, May 30, 2009 7:12 PM
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Subject: [MOPO] Cinevent--No Haggle Zone?

I've been attending Cinevent for many years and have bought a lot of
movie paper during that time. But I had the strangest experience this
year. (and no I don't mean sticky carpet or smelly hallways.sorry
Franc!)

None of the dealers I bought from were willing to haggle. Not one penny.
No matter how many pieces I was buying.

I was buying a small number of lobby cards, nothing overly spectacular
but all in reasonably good condition, totally $42 as marked. I asked the
guy if he'd take $40 thinking it would be no problem (and I had no
singles in my wallet anyway.) He said no. His prices were already low
enough he said. Hand over the 42 bucks.

Same thing at another table. "Sorry, but what I have marked is what I
want," said the dealer as he assured me he could easily sell the item at
that price to someone else. Even the DVD sellers normally give you a
break if you buy several. None I dealt with would do that this year.

I thought threatening to walk away would help. It didn't.

Bad economy? Dealers needing every single dollar just to make it? Did I
wear the wrong shirt? Don't you know I run MoPo and I can say bad things
about you?   :)

All I know is that it was a first for me at Cinevent. Haggling has
always been part of the fun! It must be gone for the duration of the
recession.

Scott
MoPo List Owner (a title that means absolutely nothing to Cinevent
dealers.)