Steve

be sure to do this

#1 measure the card. the lobby card I examined was 1/8 or so of an inch short in both directions #2 I placed the lobby card on a light box and looked for tell tale pinholes that were present in the rear half of the card, but not in the top (front) layer

Rich

At 02:25 PM 10/6/2009, Steven F. Poole wrote:
Hi Sean-
Thanks for your reply. I need to take the card under a strong light and examine with a magnifying glass. Something you said in this makes all of the sense in the world to me. If the restorer who made these ever decides to make a list of the titles he made and the quanities it would certainly help in removing the fakes from the market and easing the fears of collectors like
yourself.
This really would be a tremendous aid for collectors in getting to the root of at least this particular venture in fakery. It would indeed eliminate much of the suspicion and doubts. I would hope that the auction houses and dealers who may have also inadvertantly offered these pieces as genuine would eagerly welcome this kind of a "master list" so the pieces can begin to be picked up in this train wreck within the hobby. Of course, that would be an admission of guilt in the alleged fraud but it sure would be a step toward redemption!

    Steve

----- Original Message -----
From: <mailto:slinkenb...@comcast.net>Sean Linkenback
To: <mailto:MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU>MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Sent: Tuesday, October 06, 2009 2:29 PM
Subject: Re: [MOPO] Where to send Universal material to authenticate?

Steve,
I don't know where or how you understood that all the fakes are supposedly paperbacked, but nothing could be further from the truth. While the one-sheets and three-sheets are linenbacked, all the smaller sizes (halves, inserts, and lobbies) are NOT paperbacked - though they are all restored. Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein itself as a title is not out of the clear, as I have seen a fake Title Card on this film in person. I have not seen any scene card as of yet, but that doesn't mean anything one way or the other. If the restorer who made these ever decides to make a list of the titles he made and the quantities it would certainly help in removing the fakes from the market and easing the fears of collectors like yourself. Of course it is certainly possible that a card can be 60+ years old and still be as fresh as the day it was produced. Look at some of the beautiful lobby sets Todd is offering for sale as an example. I myself have even had near perfect mint cards from Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, and those lobbies are nearly 90 years old. The main question is - how good do you feel about your ability to spot restoration? If you have a good eye for restoration and your lobby appears to be completely unrestored, then it is most likely original.

Sean