"Unfortunately, people and companies who do linen backing have been selling
collectors a bill of goods for decades. Many of them learn their craft in a day
or so, then set up shop and start cranking away."

What a libelous statement this is.  This is a slap in the face of every
competent company that does linen backing.  I have many 1 sheets that are linen
backed, some over 10 years old that look as good as the day I received them
back
after being backed.

As far as the Library of Congress, and what they do to preserve their paper
items, I'm sure they have $1000's to put into their paper objects.    Most of
us
do not have unlimited funds to restore our posters.  Linen backing is, at this
time, the only solution most of us have to restore a tattered one sheet.
Certainly a way around having to linen back is to not buy posters that need
work.  If you can afford to do so.

I agree most half sheets and inserts should not be linen backed.  It doesn't
last if it is not done well.
John W