From: Dima Ballin <bendingcae...@gmail.com>
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Sent: Wed, October 6, 2010 7:12:47 PM
Subject: Re: [MOPO] Linen-backing versus Paper-backing

John,

"Unfortunately, people and companies who do linen backing have been selling
collectors a bill of goods for decades. Many of them learn their craft in a day
or so, then set up shop and start cranking away."

>What a libelous statement this is.  This is a slap in the face of every
>competent company that does linen backing.  I have many 1 sheets that are
>linen
>backed, some over 10 years old that look as good as the day I received them
>back
>after being backed.

Incorrect. There is nothing libelous about that statement. It would only be
libelous if I had named a specific person/company by name, AND if I
made false statements about that company which I could not back up in court
with
documented proof. Your use of "libelous" is inaccurate.

Furthermore, I speak from personal knowledge. I've seen, several times, how a
typical wet linen backing process is accomplished by these
"competent companies." It's very simple really. I could do it too, given the
right equipment. No real paper knowledge necessary. Why bother going through
years of training and apprenticeship that real paper conservators have to go
through. Why bother with all that? Why bother learning how cloth and
paper interact together, or how and why paper acidifies over time, or how it
produces off-gassing, etc? Not necessary. Just learn how to mount posters on
wet
canvas and crank them out.

Finally, 10 years is a short amount of time. If your posters are kept in a
fairly stable environment, you probably won't see any changes in them, unless
air bubbles form between the paper and canvas, which I've seen happen after
just
several months. The kind of degradation I am talking about takes place over at
least several decades or more. The real question is, why do you want to back
them at all. Is it to just be able to display them flat? If so, why not just
press them flat between a piece of museum rag and Plexiglas? Why bother
mounting
them at all? If the answer is "to preserve them for future generations" well
beyond your lifetime, then linen backing is one of the most destructive things
you could do to them. Again, don't take my word for it. Talk to any
professional
paper conservator.
SW