well said Grey

At 01:28 PM 10/12/2013, Smith, Grey - 1367 wrote:
The film was not reissued by all information I have ever been able to obtain concerning this issue. It has been a topic of conversation for thirty five years among sci-fi collectors as to what these poster were used for and why the date? I've collected sci-fi for that long if not longer and have never seen a single reissue poster from Invaders from Mars 1955 that was marked as such! Not a single lobby, insert, 40"X or any format for that matter. Can anyone tell me if they have those posters? If this 1955 poster were a reissue why would it have not been noted in the lower right in the NSS number? The general belief among a number in the hobby including myself is that this was either a misdated second printing that was either used or not used, as many were found some years ago that were flat folded. It seems they must have made it into the population as I have seen them well used and a number that are near mint! Perhaps as Rich mentions the film was so popular and kept in distribution at the time that the studio decided to reprint the posters for a continued distribution and thus dated the poster as such, but I find that hard to believe. I very much believe this was a mis-dated print run that was perhaps distributed and perhaps a large number stored by a printer due to the mis-dating. Any further information would be appreciated as I was -4 when the film premiered! I do know that they are somewhat discounted by collectors die to the date but I believe they are from the same time period as the original and far more attractive.

From: MoPo List [mailto:mopo-l@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU] On Behalf Of Richard Halegua Posters + Comic Art
Sent: Saturday, October 12, 2013 3:09 PM
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Subject: Re: [MOPO] Invaders From Mars 1955, re-release or mispint?

Here is a great comparison of two posters for It Came From Beneath the Sea - both recognized as original release posters - and both are printed with different colors

<http://movieposters.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=161342&lotIdNo=38018>http://movieposters.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=161342&lotIdNo=38018

http://movieposters.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7083&lotIdNo=27008

another situation with the same coloration differential is First Men in the Moon
<http://movieposters.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=57023&lotNo=26155>http://movieposters.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=57023&lotNo=26155

http://movieposters.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=161301&lotNo=53144

and of course, we all know that Star Wars was printed 4 times for the extended original release, although we can easily differentiate the printings because we have the information due to the fact that Star Wars is well researched and recent enough for us to have been able to access the data.

Concerning the Invaders From Mars one sheets, I do not know if Heritage is right or wrong, however according to the IMDB, there is no 1955 re-issue, so it's possible that Heritage is correct and Grey may have been able to get access to data in research that led to his determination. I don't know either way, but I doi know that Harryhausen posters shown above show clear printing variations that can only be explained by reprinting of the posters for extended releases of those very successful films. Visit the MoPo Mailing List Web Site at <http://www.filmfan.com>www.filmfan.com