In my humble opinion and my experience US Buyers are not big fans of foreign
language posters - there are exceptions of course and I will not put forward
examples but even if the art is far superior many US collector/buyers do not
like to buy European language posters.

There are exceptions of course but for example say Magnum Force - the quad is
far superior to the US One sheet yet the Americans will only buy the US. There
is this inherent country of origin mentality.Most movies are of course US made
- Seven Year Itch will always be American Paper yet the UK DC is far batter
than any US paper.

There are some recent discoveries in Italy of some awesome titles which when
they emerge will have tongues out yet many American collectors will over look
these posters - For me this is a travesty that makes people blind to the art on
show.

A good example is Oceans 11 - the US Insert and three sheet are the better art
world wide with the rat pack walking down sunset strip - the US one sheet is
quite boring - the Italian Two Foglio is superb and a great study of Sinatra
and the rat pack. Hud is another the Italian 4 Foglio is one of the best
study's on Newman (except his eyes have been coloured brown) - but far superior
to the US paper.

Empire Strikes Back - the Australian Daybill is the green Millinieum Falcon art
- truly beautiful.

So I think Grey is possibly correct about doing a Sunday auction of European
paper - but I also feel that American buyers need to be a little less narrow
minded - yes that is a sweeping statement but the majority of the end buyers
are a little narrow minded on this subject. The dealers are very open to the
art on show - but if it doesn't sell then a dealer ain't gonna buy it.

This Never Happened to the Other Fella....

Adrian Cowdry
jboh...@aol.com