I think it’s clear by now that Adrian doesn’t enjoy Pee Wee.  Who knew that
when I posted this rather interesting article from the Times Magazine that we
were going to
unearth all this.  Adrian seems to have a very clear idea of what and who is
funny and what and who isn’t.

But I think it’s worth noting that what and who is funny morphs thru the years.
 In 1948, audiences thought that Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis were madly funny -
and Paramount rejoiced as they kept stashing all that cash.  Later the French
almost enshrined Lewis as not only funny, but a serious auteur.  Have you
watched HOLLYWOOD OR BUST recently?  I adore Monty Python, but you might get a
yawn from more than a few post-millenials, who might not get what the big fuss
was.  And the Goon Show?  Now that really is an antique.  But nevertheless I
appreciate them, and I adore Peter Sellers.  But do you think that people would
howl at A SHOT IN THE DARK today as they did at the Inwood Theater in Dallas
when I first saw it.  I doubt it.

I think that Pee Wee (Paul Rubens) was not so much funny himself as he brought
something entirely new to comedy.  He saw people like George Lucas mining
pop-culture gold and turning it into adventurous faux sci/fi.   I think that he
realized that all that pop-culture stuff could be sent up comically just as
well.  And he, and the ensemble he worked with, did just that extremely well,
re-filtering childhood in America in the fifties in a way that mixed nostalgia
and the absurd brilliantly.  And I think that Netflix and Judd Apatow have a
well placed bet that the American public will pay to watch him on Netflix go at
it again.

But I will say that the last thing I find Pee Wee is “creepy.”

Kirby