I guess I come at this from a collector view.   And I have never sold anything
that I have bought before.   So I am probably a little naïve about it all.
And if I was selling a lot of items, then of course I would want a maximum of
options to sell through.

To me the relationship between auction houses and dealers is symbiotic.  They
both need each other.    Dealers bid on auction items all the time in an effort
to find something to resell.   This helps maintain a floor on pricing. I am
sure dealers sell through auctions at times well when they need to liquidate or
manage inventory.      And I don’t think this is exclusive to Movie Posters.
(Books, Coins, Stamps, Baseball cards, Art, etc…)    All areas of collections
have dealers and auction houses.

>From a collectors stand point I have relationships with many dealers both in
>Movie Posters and Animation art.   One animation art dealer has done an
>exceptional job of always calling me when he finds something he knows I will
>be interested in.    Many others don’t.     But as a collector it is also fun
>to participate in Auctions because there is always one item you are looking
>for.  Comes up from time to time.  You lose out a few times and then you win.
> And the fun is to finally win.   And at a price you can afford.   Or you
>realize you have to save more to get what you want.     OR you see a poster
>you have never seen before and you decide it looks amazing and you want to
>hang it on your wall.   That’s the fun of discovery.

So to me,  having healthy auction houses and healthy dealers is best for
everyone.   I don’t think one can survive without the other.   And I don’t
think it is a win/lose situation.

I can’t speak to people leaving the hobby or staying in it.   I would think a
lot of it is age of the typical collecting consumer and what type of films they
grew up with.    I am amazed at what 80’s film posters are selling for when I
know there are tens of thousands of copies of each one.    (Having worked in
the film marketing world)      To me,  these are the films of their youth and
that’s what they want to hang on their wall.    It can also be that as people
get older they look at getting rid of things,  smaller homes,   wanting the
money to do other things as they live in retirement.

 I can also see for myself in the next 10 to 15 years as I downsize,  I will
probably be forced to look hard at starting to sell my collection.    And
figuring out the best way to do that.  Who knows,  it may be my retirement
career,   joining all of you in the dealer world.  :)

Personally, as a collector/consumer I do like Heritage and I like Bruce at
emovieposter.     The auctions are well run.   Accurate descriptions.
Pictures.  Billing and packing are easy.  A lot done digitally.   Heritage Live
on a mobile platform is very impressive tech.      In my area of work,  I am
always reminding people to focus on the consumer and both of them have done
that.   Very well.    And if you focus on the consumer first,  you will always
win.    (Steve Jobs lesson)

Thank you all for your thoughts.  I enjoy these type of discussions as I learn
more about the hobby and the business of posters.

Best,

Ira

From: MoPo List
<mopo-l@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU<mailto:mopo-l@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU>> on behalf