Marco,

I think I have been a bit confused about what you were saying - and it now
appears I went of down the wrong path entirely.  Permit me to offer an
explanation - and, having read it, discover how we managed to hide from each
other the fact that we agree.

It all has to do with this word "event".  You've finally got it into my
thick skull that everything that you have said about the "quality event" has
supposed that "event" can describe something continous and a [quote]
"paradoxical Ever Present Event":

MARCO:
> I've never said that DQ is a series of packets
> called  QEvents. I've said the Reality is a paradoxical Ever Present
> Event.  The only problem is that you can't understand it, and it is a
> tragedy, in Shakespeare's terms.

I, in contrast, have assumed that an event is something numerically distinct
and thus antithetical to the continuous - largely because this is what the
word actually means.  All our troubles and misunderstandings stem from this
one disagreement over the use of words.  Such is philosophy.

Assuming that "event" means the numerically distinct, I naturally
interpreted your concentration on the "event" as evidence of numericism,
thus:

>> I think that my charge against you, properly understood and
>> rephrased as "numericism" rather than as "materialism",
>> holds true and is worth repeating.  You (appear to) think
>> that Quality, the fundamental reality of
>> the world, comes in these little Quantum Packets
>> called "Quality Events", and that the Dynamism of the
>> Dynamic has something to do with the way these
>> events form a series.

But you correct me:

> THIS IS NOT MY POINT. I've never said that DQ is a series of packets
> called  QEvents. I've said the Reality is a paradoxical Ever Present
> Event.  The only problem is that you can't understand it, and it is a
> tragedy, in Shakespeare's terms.

Well, it is a tragedy, but nevertheless I do now finally understand, so
perhaps there is a chance for catharsis.

I will accept your claim that an ever-present event is paradoxical.  My
point would be that the paradox arises from it being a contradiction in
terms.  'Event' is (or so I thought) a word invented to convey the
numerically distinct and the discrete.  But of course that's a kind of
authoritarianism about language, I mean on my part, isn't it?  After all, we
can use words just as we please, can't we?  If by 'event' you want to mean
the ever present and continuous, well that's just fine - so long as we get
to discover (as we now have) that this is what you mean.

But be warned, productive though it can be, that your individualism in your
philosophical vocabulary is a risky thing in two ways: (1) it hampers
understanding (it certainly confused the hell out of me!), and (2) it tends
to lead to repercussions in your vocabulary elsewhere, ie now you will have
to talk about "numerically discrete events" to accurately describe what
everyone else just calls "events".

I'm really very sorry that you feel

>Discussing with you is a dead end way.

and, well, 'sorry' is all I can think of to say.  Perhaps you will now think
that we have finally hit furtile ground in realising how important this word
"event" is to our discussion.  That's a typical ending to a socratic
dialogue, isn't it: aporia?  We go all around the houses and finally realise
that it's this central notion of 'event', the one that's been taken for
granted on all sides the whole way through, well that it's *that* notion
which has really been the subject of the dialogue, and one about which we
really haven't managed to dig up anything useful at all, or even engage.
Atleast we now know where to start next time.

If anybody want's to tell me what they think an 'event' is, then maybe we
could start over from that point.  Any takers?  Perhaps it would be helpful
if we just forget "quality" for the moment, and only come on to the "quality
event" when we are all quite sure what an "event" is.  That would be the
most constructive way to proceed, it strikes me.

All the best to all,

Elephant (puzzled once more)