Hm.  Long pause before I replied to that one.  Can't think of anything very
much to say to that.  Except maybe "really?".

It's one thing to say that all roads *can* be true (ie: it is possible for a
road, whatever road it is, to be in the end a road to the truth)...

And quite another to say that all road *are* true (ie: whichever road it is
and whichever direction you are travelling in it is the right road)....

The first claim I accept - intellectual development is a tortuous thing, and
there are many switch-backs in it, so that sometimes a wrong turn can then
become fortuitous later.  Going what looks like the wrong way now, we might
still come right in the end, and thus redeem the road we travelled.  Hairpin
bends.

But the second claim I do not accept - one way goes to the top of the
mountain, the other way to the bottom, however complex the route.  Even a
tangled string has two ends - unless it has no ends at all.

Perhaps this is your point.  The string has no ends.

Are you thinking of the quote from Heraclitus, Marco?  "The way up and the
way down are one and the same"?  Maybe you'd like to explain to me what
Heraclitus was on about in that fragment?

I'm guessing that it has something to do with circles - sttrings with no
ends.  But I don't think, well, I don't think this applies to the human
condition.  Our strings have ends, and we can call them good and evil (or
high and low Quality).

Maybe Heraclitus' point was that the way up is the way down *so far as
securing release from pain* is concerned.  But that sounds more like a
comment on the reversability of roads to sensual enjoyment than a comment on
the reversability of roads to the Truth.  Because ofcourse "the way up is
the way down" is supposed to be True somehow, isn't it? - You aren't
supposed to reverse *that* road, atleast.

Elephant