Hi elephant,

(I neglected your points, too, and will address them).

I said:
<Saying that language is discrete (and that reality is "continuous") is a physical
metaphor.>

You objected:
<It cannot, in this case, be a "physical metaphor", since in order for there to be
the "discrete" stuff in physics that you claim to be the basis of the metaphor,
discrete language itself must be used to create it. Yours is thus a picture of a
snake eating itself.>

I would like to know what does that mean to you, then, that reality is "continuous".
Webster defines discrete as non-continuous, but I will be satisfied even if you
explain why reality is not discrete, without reference to continuous, if that is
easier. Beware (needless to say this to *you*, but well...) that equating
discreteness to language won't be a legal move, because: a) there would be no
meaning in saying that language is discrete; b) this equation is not acknowledged in
any dictionary, and this thread seems to be about the "real" meaning of words, not
one that we attach to them opportunistically.

Another point: I don't feel so confident in is that all discreteness in the world is
a consequence of language. I assume that we are now using the word "language" in a
very profound way, referring to basic structures of language as Chomsky's, rather
than any specific language. This makes me wonder if the "a priori"-ness you want to
attach to the discrete concept isn't the same of the property of belonging to the
"basic language" underlying all languages (proto-language?). I would like you to
address this point too (just honestly curious).

If you want me to point at a short-circuit in your first discussion, I can try this
one:

Elephant (previously)
<I take this to be a sign that the discrete/continous distiction is apriori and not
metaphorical in origin at all.  This is in fact born out by the dictionary citation
which does not limit the distinction to spatio-temporal sequence, but applies it
*universally*.>

If "discrete" is apriori, you have this problem (IMHO):
- you partition language in <literal>, <metaphorical>, <none of them>, where the
third part of language is that which "takes objects off the ground"... "discrete"
(if apriori) doesn't fit into any of those. It is not literal (referred to any
object, since it is apriori wrt object) nor metaphorical (same reason). The third
option - "discrete" belongs to the part of the language that creates discreteness
seems to be a snake eating itself.

For the pleasure of arguing, I wish to add another point:

Elephant (previously):
<I don't enjoy your talk of "horizons".   It appears to be Wittgenstein's "limit" -
a concept that as you know I don't entertain *at all*.   Language as it is imposes
no "limits" on what can be said, nothing that the poet or the philosopher cannot
extend - that's what poets and philosophers *do* (what they are *for*).>

Strangely, poets and philosophers are a perfect representative of what I would use
as an example for my own position. (Also the fact that you somehow group the two
categories together is strange to me). Poets do not really (literally) "say": they
suggest. Poets are largely metaphorical and imprecise and quite often
self-contradictory (as refers to literal meaning). Even if a poem has a perfectly
clear and intelligible "manifest" meaning, we read it as a poem only when we have
the attitude of reading between the lines, hearing what it suggests, feeling the
feeling that words vaguely and indirectly describe. So my point was and still is:
The domain of language (taken literally) is discrete. The domain of language taken
metaphorically is "somehow" continuous because you have your intuition work, and as
we know, you have the (pre-, non-linguistic) intuition of continuous reality (this
should be developed further).

A "sad flower". "Flower" points to a class of referents. "Sad" points to another
class that is incompatible, literally. This incompatibility causes us to either drop
the poem or enter a state of mind where we do not take words literally. We are
within language, but willing to feel where language is "pointing" (a place outside
of its formal domain).

Your position for what regards talking about the unspeakable seems to be that you
actually speak about the boundaries of the speakable ("What does the manipulation of
symbols show us? It shows us what it leaves out"), which is also a honest thing to
do and probably the essence of metaphysics. But IMHO that is *not* the main thing
RMP and Lao-Tse did. I think they both managed to convey a "feeling" of something
that is beyond each and every line in their books.

As a last note, I am perfectly at ease with anyone telling me that I have a wrong
idea of Zen, simply because I think of course we all, always have a wrong idea of
Zen. Your kind of confidence that Zen paradoxes have a linear, rational solution
(i.e., the solution is that "clapping" does not mean "two hands" clapping), IMHO, is
exactly that which Zen paradoxes are trying to deconstruct.

Hoping some of the above has any value
Andrea