Hi elephant, thanks for the thoughtful reply.

I am pretty satisfied with your answer and think we have clarified most of what
needed to be. Unfortunately, I still have the feeling you neglected my question as
to how does "continuous" apply to "reality", as in "continuous reality vs discrete
language". It seems you just said that it not metaphorical because it is apriori, or
did I miss something? How come that apriori-ness excludes metaphorical use? I lost
you on this one. A brief reply will be ok.

Minor: just to correct some assumptions you seemed to be making about my points:

> [snip] I really don't think the faults you find in Poetry (imprecision etc) are
> exclusive to Poetry or absent in all Prose.  Nor do I think that such faults are
> *necessary* fetures of poetry. [snip] Do poets only 'suggest' and never 'say'?
> No, of course not.  [snip]  And do philosophers only say things and never suggest
> them?  Of course not Andrea (I think you are forgetting your Wittgenstein)...

Am not forgetting Witt. My position (that I did not completely develop in my post)
is in fact that *both* poets and philosophers are not precise. And I never said it
was a "fault", nor do I believe it.

> OK.  But what advance is made by electing to call intuition "the domain of
> language"?  I would have thought that one of the points of the word "intuition"
> was to exclude developed linguistic representations.  I mean, that would be a
> "thought", not an "intuition".

I never said the domain of language is intuition, never at all. I said: the domain
of language (taken literally) is discrete. We have intuition that is something which
seems to be less discrete than language (I mentioned that this needed more
development, it still does). And that we bridge the gap by using language in
improper (not literal) ways. What you call "creative" use of language seems to me
something that is opposed to "literal" use. And I lost you again on your argument
that words mean whatever you want them to mean - is that Humpty Dumpty?

I also note (for his sake) that you mistakenly attributed some of my last paragraphs
to Marco.

Be well,
Andrea

--