Phylogenetic PCA has many unusual properties, and does not remove the effects
of phylogeny.  Yes, it is the case that the variance of the scores on the first
phylogenetic principal component can be higher than the second PC.  We recently
had a paper in the Hystrix morphometrics volumes about the properties of pPCA
and what it does and does not do.

Polly, P. D., A. M. Lawing, A.-C. Fabre, and A. Goswami. 2013. Phylogenetic
principal components analysis and geometric morphometrics. Hystrix, 24: 1-9

Paper is available open access from the publisher or from here:
http://mypage.iu.edu/~pdpolly/Publications.html

P. David Polly
Geological Sciences
Adjunct, Anthropology and Biology