On 31.5.2015 19:38, Tsung Fei Khang wrote:
Dear community,

I would like to share my experience with using some (really cool) computational tools for phylogenetic signal and morphological integration analysis.

I am using physignal (geomorph R package) and the Phylo.Morphol.PLS function provided in the paper by Adams and Felice (2014; PLoS ONE, 9:e94335) in my work. I noticed that if the same analysis is rerun for a particular number of iterations, the results may vary. Additionally, I observed that increasing the number of iterations, up to some critical point, may push down the p-value, depending on data set (didn't happen with the plethspecies (9 species) data, but happened in my data set - 13 species, not salamanders). I attach runs (10 times) for both data sets for iterations of 100, 1000, 10000 and 100000 here for Phylo.Morphol.PLS. Note that some kind of stable results is attained after 1000 iterations (default) for the plethspecies data, but for my case, which needs 10000.

I think the notion that p-values returned from a permutation method are actually realizations of random variables with a certain mean and variance may not be familiar to many biologists, who are accustomed to expect a reproducible p-value when the same data set is rerun using common statistical tests. Perhaps in a future version the authors of the code can implement a checker within the functions that checks the number of iterations for attaining "convergence", so that a more stable p-value is returned?
Dear Tsung,

I understand that you stressed two questions:
1. how to make reproducible p-value
2. how to assess variability of p-value in non-exhaustive randomization

Answer for 1:
Technically speaking and if you're looking for a reproducible script, you can obtain the same p value if you specify seed value via set.seed() function prior statistical inference.

Add a bit for 2:
When all possible permutations for a given dataset exceed number of permutatios used for statistical inference, it is likely that p value will differ because p value is not point probability, but an interval around the (real) point. An appropriate number of permutations as well as its stability are important questions which are data specific. However, I believe that experienced researchers here can elaborate on that issue in more details.

Marko

--
Marko Djurakic,

Teaching assistant,