From: R-sig-phylo [mailto:r-sig-phylo-boun...@r-project.org] On Behalf Of Joe
Felsenstein
Sent: Monday, June 8, 2015 1:29 AM
To: Dennis E. Slice; r-sig-phylo mailman
Subject: Re: [R-sig-phylo] [MORPHMET] Re: Stability of p-values (physignal and
testing for morphological integration)

A number of people have suggested that P values should stabilize after a number
of samples (in a permutation test) that depends on the data set.

I suspect that these were unintended misstatements.  As Dennis Slice has
mentioned, one can regard each permutation in the permutation test as a random
sample from a distribution.  Comparing a test statistic X to its value in the
data (say, Y), each permutation draws from a distribution in which there is a
probability P that X exceeds Y.

So each permutation is (to good approximation) a coin toss with probability P
of Heads.  There obviously no number of tosses beyond which the fraction of
Heads "stabilizes".  The fraction of heads after N tosses will depart from the
true value P by an amount which has expectation 0, and variance P(1-P)/N.  This
is a fairly slow approach of the fraction of Heads to the true value.

So to get twice as close to the true P value, one needs 4 times as many
permutations.  And this need for more and more samples continues indefinitely.
There is no sudden change as one reaches a threshold number of permutations.

But that's what you really meant, right?

Joe
-------
Joe Felsenstein  j...@gs.washington.edu

        [[alternative HTML version deleted]]