There was a similar concern (about arbitrary p-values in simulations) expressed
in a nice, recent Oikos paper, too:

White, J. W., A. Rassweiler, J. F. Samhouri, A. C. Stier, and C. White. 2014.
Ecologists should not use statistical significance tests to interpret
simulation model results. Oikos 123(4):385-388.

I think some of the concerns are also wise to heed for those doing resampling.
It's always worth doing a quick sensitivity analysis (running the resampling
algorithm for increasing numbers of replicates) to identify the point at which
p-values (or other stats you're interested in) become stable. But there's no
need to run huge replicates if they're not needed. See p. 40 in the paper below
(focused more on general paleontological applications than morphometrics) for
discussion and recommendations on this issue, with some advice from the
literature. The online supplement at
http://www.paleosoc.org/shortcourse2010/Resampling_KandN-G_Appendices_Oct11.doc
 has some (clunky) sample R code (section 2.8) demonstrating this.

Kowalewski, M., and P. Novack-Gottshall. 2010. Resampling methods in
paleontology. Pp. 19-54. In J. Alroy, and G. Hunt, eds. Quantitative Methods in
Paleobiology. Short Courses in Paleontology 16. Paleontological Society and
Paleontological Research Institute, Ithaca, NY.

Cheers,
Phil