Hi Don,
This surely solves my problem with considering landmark 40 as a fixed one
(it's not!). So I tried what you offered but I have a few questions:

   1. While digitizing according to a fan one should follow the
   intersections of the contour with the fan lines and repeat the same lines
   in all individuals (which consequently, gives the exact same number of
   semi-landmarks). Is this required also while drawing a background curve -
   should I try to repeat more or less the same locations (and number of
   points), or while resampling the curve by length I can change the number of
   semi-landmarks to space evenly and as long I set the same number for all
   specimens, then it's ok?
   I played with it a bit, and realized that as long as the length of the
   curve is fixed, resampling it by length using a fixed number of points (for
   all specimens) will locate them in the same relative locations. Please
   correct me if I'm wrong.
   2. Just to make sure I understood the benefit of the background curve
   over the fan: With the background curve I can digitize semi-landmarks in
   different densities along the curve and then divide them into a fixed
   number of curve points, so I don't have to decide on a specific density for
   the whole curve?
   3. And I bet I sill need to use the unbending tool in specimens that
   have non-natural postures, right? I mean, using the background curve
   doesn't solve the bending specimen as well, right?
   4. Can the head-tip and tail-tip be treated as fixed landmarks (each
   with two degrees of freedom and homologous)?

Thanks again,
Avi