On Oct 1, 2006, at 8:21 AM, Celeste wrote:

> I teach 2nd grade and am looking for activities for parents/
> volunteers to do with students to build and improve fluency both in
> the classroom and at home.
>
> What are some things you do with your students?

In my not so humble, sometimes cynical opinion, the best (and maybe the
only) way to increase fluency is to read read read read read. What I
would do is have these parents/volunteers sit with students one-on-one
for a short time with a book that is just slightly easy for the child,
and read together, out loud. When I say together, I mean..... well....
together! Both voices reading aloud simultaneously.  And the important
part of this is not speed as much as it is expression, especially
making note of punctuation and focusing on phrases rather than words.

When parents are not available, I would have students spend at least
part of their independent reading time reading books that they know
well, that are easy enough for them that they don't have to stop to
decode, etc.

Renee

"We are here to infiltrate space with ideas."
~ Ramtha