I love this idea!  You could extend it to watching bits and pieces of
conversations from film/tv to see if they can begin to recognize when things
go south, so to speak.  Not only what works, but what seems to cause
conversation to degenerate.

On 3/11/07 7:54 PM, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> In my classroom, we do an inquiry about conversation.  Part of their homework
> for a week is to jot down conversation they see and hear.  Then they decide
> which they thought were "good" conversations, and which weren't.  We chart the
> qualities that each of the good conversations had.  We then try and practice
> those traits when having book talks.  I will ask some to fishbowl their talk
> if I think there's something of value the others can take from it in terms of
> conversation.
> Myra

Lori Jackson
District Literacy Coach & Mentor