Joy:  We do it all we sing the songs, then read them, then read and sing
them in various grouping, always the words are in front of the kids so that
they have to read.  later we pull words out of context for word study and
the word wall.  And later we might even try other verses to the same
tune.     The idea is to do a lot of reading, even if it doesnt feel like
reading.  Camp Songs are great!    (Girl Scouts have better songs than the
Boy Scouts I think).   The last couple weeks I was teaching kids the
military service songs in anticipation of Memorial Day.

Hope this helps.
tim

At 11:26 AM 5/27/2007 -0700, you wrote:
>Tim,
>   I'm a bit confused. Do the students read the song lyrics as well as
> sing them? Do they read them first, or sing them first? Do you have
> recordings for them to listen to? Would camp songs work? (I'm an old Girl
> Scout leader.)
>
>   I'm not a singer, don't play an instrument, and we don't have a music
> teacher at my school. I find this idea intriguing, and would like to try
> it with my fourth grade students. I think it would be a great way to help
> them relieve some stress in the afternoons after they finish testing. I
> also think it would be something I could incorporate into morning
> meetings next year.
>
>   Thanks,
>
>Tim Rasinski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>    . . . Susan Homan, Marie Biggs and myself have done some interesting
>work in Hillsborough County in Florida where kids were taught lyrics to
>songs (actually singing the songs), 30 minutes, 3 times a week.
>
>                 Joy/NC/4
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>   How children learn is as important as what they learn: process and
> content go hand in hand. http://www.responsiveclassroom.org

>Search the MOSAIC archives at http://snipurl.com/MosaicArchive.

Timothy Rasinski, Ph.D.
Reading and Writing Center