On Jul 8, 2007, at 9:42 PM, Beverlee Paul wrote:

> Renee - I think our profession is in kind of a mood, and justifiably
> so.
> It's as though we've all taken leave of our senses -- well, I mean the
> decision-makers, I guess, not us.  But when you see things like SRA's
> corrective reading try to teach vocabulary words such as amblng in
> "call and
> response" format to ELL kids, it causes you to bid leave of your
> senses, so
> you can stand it!  Nice quote at bottom.  Some of our current-day
> decision-makers must think there isn't anything in our kids for them to
> discover!  How wrong they are.

Well, I also think teachers have allowed this to happen. It is not only
the decision-makers who have taken leave of their senses.... it is a
great number of teachers in the trenches as well. There are a lot of
teachers who *like* DIBELS, who *like* Open Court, who *like* SRA, who
*like* Success for All, who *like* Star Reading, who *like* computer
tests, who *like* Saxon Math, who *like* Excel Math, who *like*
programs that tell them what to do, who *like* assessments that give
them a number to go by.

And way too many teachers who don't like these programs but who just go
along and do whatever they are told without thinking about it, without
speaking up, without making a case for something better.

Way, way too many, in fact.
At least that's how it is where I live.

Renee

"El fin de toda educacion debe ser seguramente el servicio a otros."
~ Cesar Chavez