We are hosting Michael Smith (Reading Don't Fix  No Chevys) and my husband
and I went to dinner with him last night.  In two hours of conversation, the
issue oft the image and perception of teachers came up.  He made the point
that as a group, teachers have failed as of late to communicate the
complexity and challenges of our profession. Therefore, as sense that
expertise or intelligence has made programs like Teach For America seem like
sensible solutions.  Please note that personally I have had nothing but
admiration and respect for these dedicated young people on an individual
basis, but I would agree whole heartedly that as a movement,  this is just
not good for education.

I also have to wonder about the role that Hollywood plays in all of this.  I
used to think all those feel good Hollywood scenarios where the wide-eyed
visionary turns the school around were inspirational but I have really come
to wonder otherwise.  I read an article in the New York Times ticking off he
numbers and realities for a long line of these super-teachers, and not one
on the list of  'based-on-actual-experience' super-teachers was still
teaching after five years.  Two comments: we do see a lot of bright, young
teachers leaving teaching but I am also concerned at the message these films
send about the rest of the teachers.  Somehow if we all just cared enough,
were passionate enough...the ills of the educational society would just fade
away.

I am passionate, and I care deeply...honestly, look around you and I still
feel that the halls of our institutions are still populated primarily by
people who do, or at least, people who did at one point in their careers.
NCLB has made us scapegoats, responsible collectively for the failures of
education and, indirectly, the failures of the community, of the society.
We are messaged by all the programs and pundits that if we just stuck to a
program, we could save the world.  No one would dream of suggesting our
Foreign Ambassadors, each working with uniquely different groups of people
around the world, lay aside their personal knowledge of their populations
and needs to adopt some sort of standardized, prescriptive approach.  That
may not be the strongest example, but you get the general idea.

I am not quite sure how to do it, but we need to take back our profession
and re-embody it.

Lori

On 7/10/07 11:26 PM, "Beverlee Paul" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have to agree, with reservations.  I think our profession is going to be
> gone as a profession if something doesn't change.  And it'll go with "a
> whimper not a bang."  Too many with integrity and intelligence just plain
> won't be able to stand seeing that script one more time.  They'll go.  And
> the ones left?  They'll be the ones who cruise in 10 minutes before school
> to take up their post and administer the day.
>

> Well, I also think teachers have allowed this to happen. It is not only
> the decision-makers who have taken leave of their senses.... it is a
> great number of teachers in the trenches as well. There are a lot of
> teachers who *like* DIBELS, who *like* Open Court, who *like* SRA, who
> *like* Success for All, who *like* Star Reading, who *like* computer
> tests, who *like* Saxon Math, who *like* Excel Math, who *like*
> programs that tell them what to do, who *like* assessments that give
> them a number to go by.
>
> And way too many teachers who don't like these programs but who just go
> along and do whatever they are told without thinking about it, without
> speaking up, without making a case for something better.
>
> Way, way too many, in fact.
> At least that's how it is where I live.

Lori Jackson
District Literacy Coach & Mentor