Jennifer, that makes so much sense.

Carol said: "I never got phonics until I had to teach phonics--even now 20
years later I have to sound out a word first to get to the isolated sound.
That's why I teach 4th. Read in the paper this morning that Bill Gates is
really pushing phonics for early reading programs. What happened to
balance?"

I read the same thing in the paper today and have been pondering it ever
since. But when I came upon Jennifer's email, I started to wonder if Gates
is so pro-phonics because he was/is an analytic learner and "got" phonics.
He may be a global thinker, but appears to be an analytic learner.

http://www.parade.com/articles/editions/2007/edition_09-23-2007/Intelligence
_Report (the comments section is kind of disturbing)

This type of all-or-nothing philosophy, especially from someone so well
respected (and I do respect and appreciate much that he has tried to do for
education), makes me crazy. We know that kids have different learning
styles, needs, etc., but many non-educators, especially those who have such
an influence on the lives of our students, do not seem willing to admit what
we would consider indisputable facts.

How can we help those in power to understand that one size does not fit all?
What happened to balance and sanity?