I would argue that we are still all about balance--only we are not assuming
that learners have equal needs.  A child who is top heavy on meaning and is
neglecting visual cues needs to be counter-balanced with reminders to
confirm predictions and apply phonetic understanding.

Lori

On 9/29/07 11:17 PM, "Waingort Jimenez, Elisa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Yes.  And, in my last post I said, and that's whole language, but I was too
> quick with the reply button.  I should have said something about "balance".  I
> have a lot of issues with this word.  It implies equal to me and that is not
> what our kids need.  They deserve to get what they need, which may not
> necessarily be in balance with what another student needs.  We need to be
> astute kid watchers to know how to teach our students what they need at any
> particular moment.
> Elisa
>
> Elisa Waingort
> Grade 2 Spanish Bilingual
> Dalhousie Elementary
> Calgary, Canada
>
> If we stand on the shoulders of the Goodman's and Marie Clay, we cannot
> discount three cuing systems.  We need to teach our readers how each works,
> and allow them to operate on them.  This pendulum swing is, IMO, largely
> engineered by folks who have little understanding of reading process.
>
> Lori

Lori Jackson
District Literacy Coach & Mentor
Todd County School District