If you look at the research by Marie Carbo for children age seven or so, and
younger, you will not find the same answer alluded to in the post Lori
responded to.  What does Marie say about learning styles for children at the
emergent reader stage??  Very important to know.  I haven't read anything of
hers in the last five years or so, but unless she's changed her position, we
all should be very interested in what she has to say about learning styles at
those ages.  > > If we stand on the shoulders of the Goodman's and Marie Clay,
we cannot> discount three cuing systems. We need to teach our readers how each
works,> and allow them to operate on them. This pendulum swing is, IMO,
largely> engineered by folks who have little understanding of reading process.>
> Analytic learners tend to get phonics and learn to read easily using it. It>
> makes > > sense to them. Global learners who need the big picture first have
more> > difficulty with phonics. I think we have to be careful taking an 'all
or> > nothing' > > position. Every child's brain is different and will learn
differently. I> > think > > we owe it to our students to find out how they
learn and have methods in our> > toolbox that will meet their needs. Every time
the phonics pendulum swings,> > we lose kids. It isn't all or nothing...we need
to look at the students we> > teach and find the balance.> > Jennifer> >
Maryland> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:> > > > I cannot discount the role of
phonics in the process of learning to read,> > but I can certainly discount
much of the methodology adopted to teach it. I> > think that teachers who
encourage much writing in the early grades and are> > able to effectively
support emergent writers in moving from stretching words> > and hold those
sounds to using spelling patterns and analogy do much to> > build phonetic
understanding in their students. When this is combined with> > word work that
draw children from letter-by-letter analysis to using chunks> > and analogies
to figure out those tricky words, I don't know that much more> > is needed. I
am not sure I see a reason to use some of the of the> > terminology (long vs.
short vowels, for example), but if children are aware> > of patterns such as
/ead/, with the knowing that sometimes it sounds like> > /eed/ and sometimes
like /ed/, they can quickly combine this knowledge with> > meaning and
semantics to quickly make informed judgment calls as they read> > and
increasingly refined approximations when spelling unknown words. This is> >
very different from those plaid phonics books, IMO, and I am thinking most> >
upper grade teachers should be quite glad of teachers that establish this> >
knowledge base.> > > > Lori> > > > > > > > > > > > > >