We have a two week testing period and teachers are given six weeks to
establish instructional routines before this testing is done.  Normally, I
think our staff would have had no difficulty with a two week window, but the
new DRA has rocked boats as the fluency requirements are dropping kids level
after level.  I have faith that they will meet their testing deadlines, but
unfortunately it has been far more stressful.

I do have a question for you all, those using DRA at any rate.  We work with
a Native American population and I have some concerns regarding the cultural
appropriateness of relying exclusively on rate to determine whether or not
to continue or discontinue the test.  The closer our children are to their
Native language (we have very few speakers, but the patterns of the language
continue to impact children), the more thoughtful and reflective their
speech patterns are.  I would not at all describe them as dysfluent, but it
simply not a cultural norm to value speed in speech.  We are administering
the test strictly this first time out but having administered about 25
myself in the last two weeks, I have have noticed that for children who fall
into that instructional, or second gray range, about 50% of them would fall
into acceptable ranges (solidly, I might add) when other factors in the
rubric are evaluated.  Has anyone else had experience working with this
instrument with Native Americans or other ethnic groups?  Have you noticed
any similar issues with rate?

Lori

On 10/12/07 6:14 AM, "kandrews-babcock"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Michele,
> Our school also does not provide subs, students are expected to be doing
> independent work (rigorous and meaningful work of course) while the DRA's
> are being administered. It's crazy but if you can have a 4 week testing
> window to get everyone done, that's a bit easier. Then you can do some
> lessons and testing in between. Good luck!
> Kelly AB
>

> On 10/11/07 11:37 PM, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Kelly,
>> We don't have enough time!  Our principal won't even get subs  so that we can
>> test.  We have to be "creative" when we get the time to test  the fluency.
>> Then, once I get everyone in a book, we do the independent  work all at one
>> time, like a testing session.  I'm going to feel sorry for  myself for a
>> minute.
>> I had to get 29 hours worth of testing done and I  have 1 hour and 50 minutes
>> of planning time A WEEK (not counting lunch).   It's a good thing that I like
>> this job. LOL.  Thanks for the info. about  the DRA2.
>> Michele

>> Search the MOSAIC archives at http://snipurl.com/MosaicArchive.

Lori Jackson
District Literacy Coach & Mentor