-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of ljackson
Sent: Friday, November 30, 2007 8:31 AM
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Beyond Retelling

I developed a rubric for retelling for my kiddos--a sort of simplified
version the retelling elements from the DRA.  I started with my reading
the
very sorts of books kiddos are expected to retell (not the DRA texts,
but
leveled books that reflected all the different levels in my classroom).
Then I would retell--sometimes very poorly.  My first and second graders
just LOVED scoring me.  One child was always designated to count the
prompts--I taught the kids only one, which was tell me more.  The kids
would
groan and shake their heads with each prompt.  They quickly came to
understand that it was important not to make me 'beg' for the whole
story.
After a week of this, we did partnered retelling work.  Day one, the
retelling team consisted of one listener and one rater--they actually
sat
there with their rubrics and scored their partner's retelling.  Day two
we
switched.  I set up the listening center for students to record their
own
retellings and do what I called 'retrospective retellings", they
listened to
themselves and scored their retellings.  I had wonderful conversations
with
them about their ratings (they were tough on themselves) and they began
have a real sense of how to 'fill in the blanks'.  Two biggest results
here
were   understanding and detailing of character and a tremendous drop in
the
number of required prompts--as in, almost NEVER.

Lori

On 11/29/07 11:44 PM, "Debbie Goodis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I read about 2 stories a day to my students. Would it be helpful if I
did one
> or two a week as a lesson on retelling? For example, every "event"
stop and
> ask the students to tell me what I just read to them in their own
words. It's
> something I can do tomorrow so I thought I might try it. It seem that
when you
> want to teach a skill its helpful to use a concept that is easy for
them. Two
> or three pages at a time. Just to get them "in the habit" of thinking
in terms
> of the story in their own words. It's late, and I hope I'm being
clear.
> Thanks for any thoughts.
> Debbie

Lori Jackson