Thanks Pam.
  I really like Lori's suggestion. I've found whenever I turn things over to
the kids like this I have excellent results. The kids really step up to the
plate when they have their ideas invested in what they are doing. However, I
want to make sure that I monitor what they are doing so they include important
points in their rubric. This is why I'm asking for suggestions for extending
retell beyond the basic story map for older students.

  Because Growing Readers was written with primary grades in mind, I'm
concerned that the ideas, while still applicable, may seem childish to my savvy
4th grade students. Does anyone have any ideas how to elaborate on these ideas?
My students do Book Tell daily, but I'm really interested in guiding them
during conferences so I have a few "experts" who can model for the rest of the
class.

  I'm thinking that using questioning to help them think about the text might
help. Helping them develop their sense of wonder about what they are reading. .
. Maybe help them ask better questions during the question and comment portion
of Book Tell . . . Getting them to think about the author's purpose or the
motivation of their characters. . .

  What do you think? How else can I get these students who are reading above
grade level.

                Joy/NC/4
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  How children learn is as important as what they learn: process and content go
hand in hand. http://www.responsiveclassroom.org