-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Kendra Carroll
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2008 9:10 AM
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group;
mosaic@literacyworkshop.org
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Comprehension strategies and Harcourt

In primary grades,  it should be about 50-50.  I am teaching 2nd grade for
the first time after spending 3 years in first.  I am seeing many students
who word call on a 4th grade level but cannot comprehend near that level.
Its almost like these students have spent so much time focusing on the word
level that they have forgotten to take time to comprehend.  I am not sure if
this is developmental or that we as teachers K-1 are not spending enough
time on comprehension.  I would love to know the opinions of others:)

Kendra
North Carolina