I teach gifted 5th graders, but have taught regular 3rd through 5th as well
as gifted 3rd through 5th.  Having my reading endorsement, I too am  surprised
by the word callers at the beginning of the year.  This year I  was
especially surprised because my class did not seem to think that  comprehension
was
important.  Can you imagine?  We have read and  discussed everything you can
imagine!  They are so tired of me making them  retell, summarize, think about
it,
say it another way, act it out, draw a  picture, etc. that I think they are
going to comprehend just to get me  off their backs!  I do feel like we have
made great strides; however, I  don't know where the problem started.  I have
always stressed comprehension  is just as important as reading.  You can't have
one without the  other.

Karen

Awards. Go to AOL Music.