-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Kendra Carroll
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2008 8:10 AM
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group;
mosaic@literacyworkshop.org
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Comprehension strategies and Harcourt

In primary grades,  it should be about 50-50.  I am teaching 2nd grade
for the first time after spending 3 years in first.  I am seeing many
students who word call on a 4th grade level but cannot comprehend near
that level.  Its almost like these students have spent so much time
focusing on the word level that they have forgotten to take time to
comprehend.  I am not sure if this is developmental or that we as
teachers K-1 are not spending enough time on comprehension.  I would
love to know the opinions of others:)

Kendra
North Carolina