What is the exact title of the Daily 5 book?

Thanks...Leslie

In a message dated 6/26/2008 10:41:44 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Stephanie,

First of all, there are several Yahoo groups focusing  on Daily 5. One is
Daily5, one is Daily5BookStudy (1 chapter per week), and  someone mentioned
another one for "firsties"--but don't know the name of  it.

I used Daily 5 last year in 2nd grade (1st time for 2nd gr for me).  My
reading workshop revolves around the Daily 5, altho we usually only got  3
choices in, sometimes 2, as I would take one choice occasionally  for
teaching comprehension strategies (took longer than a typical  minilesson,
since I was reading an entire picture book, or using poems). I  also kept
writing separate--Lucy Calkins. However, I did do minilessons for  decoding
strategies, etc. The independent practice was my favorite  part--the kids did
a great job building stamina and everyone from low to  high levels improved
over the year. I'm convinced it was because of all the  extra time reading.

It will take at least 6 weeks to build stamina and  get everyone doing what
they're supposed to be doing. I started taking  individual kids for
assessments once everyone had reached 8-9 minutes of  stamina. When the class
reached 15 minutes, I started taking groups for  instruction.

Hope that helps. I encourage you to join one or more of  the Daily 5 groups.
Melissa/VA/2nd

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 11:33 PM,  Stephanie Sanchez <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Hello group,
> After hearing people rave about the Daily 5, I decided to  buy it. I
> finished it all in one sitting. Wow...what a read! I love  all it has to
say.
> I'm curious though, and would love to hear input,  on how other teacher's
> have combined the Daily 5 with Reader's  Workshop. What would your schedule
> look like? How does the Reader's  Workshop model of mini-lesson, shared
> practice, and independent  practice of the mini-lesson skill fit in with the
> Daily 5? I  definitely am looking forward to teaching this in the fall. Any
> input  would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Stephanie
> 3rd grade,  CA
>
>  Search the MOSAIC archives at  http://snipurl.com/MosaicArchive.