I think that the previous posts are correct- if you don't make it an issue,
usually the kids don't either.
I talk extensively with my first graders about how some books are a good fit
for one person but not another. There is a good lesson using shoes in The Daily
Five book. The basic metaphor is that even though two students might be wearing
running shoes they don't fit the other person, just like similar books might be
too hard or too easy for some people.
The community of learners is also wonderful. We do a lesson with our
gifted/talented teacher about multiple intelligences. It is nice for the kids
to see that even though they might not be a "word smart" fast reader, they
might be "number smart" or "people smart." It shows them that they all have
different gifts. I also have the kids help each other when I think it is
appropriate.
Briana/1st-2nd Looper/MN