I would say that groups in K would come maybe second semester.  Most kiddos are
still learning sounds and letters.

I would think a minimum of 8 weeks in first.  It going to take a lot of
modeling and practice for those kiddos to get used to what to do.  Second might
be faster as they've had more experience.

Good luck,

 Kristin Mitchell/4th/CO
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
-Ghandi

What is a realistic time that K, 1st and 2nd grade teachers should be given to
develop independence so that they can meet with reading groups?