Hi Jennifer and Suzie,

Thank you, thank you! You have given me much to think about. After reading your posts, I do think the nonfiction is the way to go. The students are interested in the topic, they can connect to it, it includes visuals and features we've discussed. In fact, I have already typed up my reasons for creating this lesson for this particular class and I think my reasons sound logical and appropriate.

I guess my concern is balancing discussing the content and the actual reading strategy I'm trying to teach (reading, thinking, and jotting down their ideas about the text). This class is fairly proficient at decoding words, but many struggle with comprehension. They are unfamilair with the idea of "listening to an inner voice" and interacting with the text.

Thanks again! The National Board process is amazing!

If you have any more advice...I'm all ears.

Best,
Kim