Sent: Friday, November 28, 2008 11:11 AM
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] whole class discussion question

Kim, I think you should do whatever you are comfortable with in terms of the test you are sitting….but given that half your students are ESL and you have a couple of attention issues you might like to just consider the following. You are happy with their understanding of ‘fiction’ but they need more work on non-fiction is what I am understanding you are saying. ESL learners need more support with non-fiction. They actually need to learn the text structure of expository text, ((Reutzel & Cooter, 2007). e.g. Cause and effect, compare and contrast, description, questions and answers and time order. Have you wondered why your students have not transferred from fiction to non-fiction with the same level of interaction? In using your piece on child labor I would be looking at focusing your lesson with one of the above strategies, fine tuning your questions so that you can build upon prior knowledge and so that your students can make connections. ESL kids and indeed most kids need more scaffolding for non-fiction and most certainly attention to the academic language and or new vocabulary that can be imbedded without context or pictorial support. And research does show that whatever differentiation you employ in the regular classroom for your ESL students is of immense benefit to your other students as well. I think my reply today was too quick, I was thinking for a ‘performance’ fiction would be an easier way to go. Content in curriculum areas is of course important but providing support to develop the skills for accessing information is paramount. A great starter would be a ‘visual’ as in a photo on your overhead that ‘shows child labor’, give the kids are context to build on when you are reading. And, maybe at this point you could incorporate the language of the text in your discussion if you think any of it is going to be new. Also, what is it you want the children to understand about child labor? This will help you develop the questions that will promote thinking on both an ‘understanding/comprehension level’ and what the students need to know and build upon in understanding for their Social Studies unit. Good luck on this