Kim, I think you should do whatever you are comfortable with in terms of the
test you are sitting….but given that half your students are ESL and you have a
couple of attention issues you might like to just consider the following.  You
are happy with their understanding of ‘fiction’ but they need more work on
non-fiction is what I am understanding you are saying.  ESL learners need more
support with non-fiction.  They actually need to learn the text structure of
expository text, ((Reutzel & Cooter, 2007).  e.g. Cause and effect, compare and
contrast, description, questions and answers and time order.  Have you wondered
why your students have not transferred from fiction to non-fiction with the
same level of interaction?  In using your piece on child labor I would be
looking at focusing your lesson with one of the above strategies, fine tuning
your questions so that you can build upon prior knowledge and so that your
students can make connections.
 ESL kids and indeed most kids need more scaffolding for non-fiction and most
certainly attention to the academic language and or new vocabulary that can be
imbedded without context or pictorial support. And research does show that
whatever differentiation you employ in the regular classroom for your ESL
students is of immense benefit to your other students as well. I think my reply
today was too quick, I was thinking for a ‘performance’ fiction would be an
easier way to go.  Content in curriculum areas is of course important but
providing support to develop the skills for accessing information is paramount.
A great starter would be a ‘visual’ as in a photo on your overhead that ‘shows
child labor’, give the kids are context to build on when you are reading.  And,
maybe at this point you could incorporate the language of the text in your
discussion if you think any of it is going to be new. Also, what is it you want
the children to understand
 about child labor?  This will help you develop the questions that will promote
thinking on both an ‘understanding/comprehension level’ and what the students
need to know and build upon in understanding for their Social Studies unit.
Good luck on this