My youngest son is a brilliant thinker, a real outside the box kind of kid, but
he reads slowly (with great understanding) and struggles with handwriting and
spelling.  This year, as an eight grader, we began noticing that he was
struggling to correctly copy mathematical equations. He would err in the
transcription, not in the solution, and then correctly solve an incorrect
problem.  He had a great year in language arts, but my husband was his teacher
and believes that when laptops are available to students, they should all have
the opportunity/choice to use them for drafting to publishing.  Unlike his
previous middle school language arts teachers, one in particular, who harped on
him constantly about neatness, letter formation and spelling, his dad grades
all kids journals for thinking.  Even with the support of word processing, we
both saw Isaac struggle with spelling of even simple words and began to push
for evaluation in February.  Sadly, because he is a brilliant kid who still
scores well on the standardized tests by local standards, we met with
resistance. I could point to the decline in his test scores but since they were
high in comparison to our general population, we ere dismissed. His math
instructor was quick to label him lazy and a behavior problem (something we
have discovered she does with any child who is struggling) and he was pretty
quick to let her know she was an idot (which she is not, but she was a
non-certified, math phobic person assigned to proctor a poorly designed
distance learning class and is does appear she pretty much hates boys). I ended
up having to threaten to call the State Department of Education and file a
complaint before they finally decided to test him.  He did not qualify for
services BUT was clinically diagnosed as dyslexic with a specific focus on
dysgraphia.  In other words, he could spell and visualize words correctly but
then scramble them when asked to write the same thing.  He cannot transcribe
information well, makes reversals and transpositions that impact meaning.  He
is not lazy, he CANNOT do this due to a specific processing disorder.  I had
met someone about about a year ago with a son with the same diagnosis and as
she described her son to me, along with the fight it took to get him services,
she could have been talking about my son.

Your post, the comment about a boy afraid to take chances, made me cringe.
Isaac was blessed with elementary teachers who saw his gifts and his brilliance
and looked beyond, not without cringing, his spelling and handwriting.  But
when he got to middle school, all that changed. I honestly came close to
decking his first language arts teacher as she messaged to him constantly that
he was less than intelligent because of handwriting and spelling.  Every
conversation we had with this women centered around these issues--never with a
suggestion that he might need to be tested, but always the message that he was
lazy.  She refused to allow him to word process his drafts, citing technology
as a crutch, yet the kids did all their final work on some computer program and
the program did the grading!! I feel so guilty, as Isaac is a free spirit and
though I KNEW laziness was not the issue, I didn't see it as a learning
disability.  25% of the kids who are truly dyslexic (and that is not a huge
number, from what I understand) do not have any difficulty with reading but
struggle exclusively with writing. What would have happened to my son,
identified early on as gifted, if he had had teachers like this early on?
Would anyone have seen him as the brilliant kid I know?  How would that have
impacted him emotionally and socially?  Instead he was referred early to the
gifted program and viewed as an outside the box learner. While those teachers
never stopped trying to clean up the spelling and the handwriting, they saw
beyond it. He has been so lucky. And now we have the diagnosis and required
modifications that will help others to see beyond it.

Okay, I am rambling, but here is some food for thought. The district
psychologist, my husband and I both were in agreement that college will not be
daunting for Isaac.  There, it is common practice for kids to tote computers,
tape lectures and to hire someone to edit and clean up their papers to meet
style guide requirements. His passions are art, photography and computer
graphics. He will do fine. However, we feared for him with the rather rigid
expectations of our high school staff, many of whom think their laptop carts
looks best when padlocked shut.  "Once we get this boy through high school, he
is going on to do great things," the psychologist spoke in the presence of my
son. "This is a specific learning disability which can be accommodated."  She
went on to explain that his drop of 12 IQ points was probably directly related
to his disability and thoroughly explained to my son the mathematics beyond
standard deviations. He realized that the high end of the standard deviation
was his previous IQ (or very nearly) and was able to understand he does not fit
the test well, rather than see himself as 'dumb'.

So… as a teacher, I am taking this lesson away. There are children out there
with organic reasons for poor handwriting (awkward, inconsistent letter
formation, oddly spaced words and spaced between words) and poor spelling. For
some, this is the only manifestation of a learning disability.

Lori Jackson