Should we write a book. I once had a second grade teacher tell me my son could not read. (Of course she did not ask her best friend across the hall who had taught him 1st grade and knew he read above grade level) When I pulled out a book he was reading. The low level/high interest version (middle school) of The Three Musketeers I opened it and he started to read pronouncing the French names. She said he must have memorized it. He continued to read and told her what the story was about and how he had to call his Godfather to find out how to say the French words. He had been in her class for 3 months and refused to read at circle time. She never called me and when I asked, saw her everyday, she said he was fine. For spelling she had them practice dictation spelling sentences. He memorized the sentences as one word. He hated her class. She said he had problems he said she bored him. We went on and on all day. He finally asked me why did she cry after she talked to me. I didn't know she cried. And he was in private school.
On Jun 14, 2009, at 4:40 PM, Joy wrote:

And the stories do not all have a happy ending. Many of you know the story about my son, who is now 24. He had a right temporal brain tumor, which was successfully removed. He was second in his class, an honor student with 2 part time jobs, manager of the football team, band member, good citizen of his school. He didn't want to give up his standing, and insisted on going right back to school, probably a little too early.

He was on quite a cocktail of anti-seizure, anti-inflammatory, anti- depressants, and pain meds. The school held an IEP/504 meeting where I was told my son was on drugs (no kidding, they all implied that he was on illicit drugs!) and was falling asleep in class (duh, he had a doctor's note explaining it would happen.) They yanked him out of regular classes, sending him to the alternative school. He completed a 15 hour class in a half day, and aced the exit exam. Their solution, make him do word associations for the rest of the term. We asked could he start another class, and they wouldn't hear it (something about seat time) I asked what about just letting him take the other class for enrichment, no way.

Plus, they had no one who could teach him advanced calculus II, or French.

Long story short, they dropped him from the rolls without telling us. He went to school one day, and they said "What are you doing here, you're not enrolled any longer." so my son is an involuntary drop out. We looked into filing a law suit, but I was advised against it since I worked for the school system. He lost all respect for education, thinks it's a waste, won't get his GED or Adult HS Diploma, forget going to college. So I have a 24 yr old with a 180 IQ who sits at home all day playing Warcraft. Tell me about falling through the cracks, my son was swallowed.

Joy/NC/4

How children learn is as important as what they learn: process and content go hand in hand. http://www.responsiveclassroom.org

----- Original Message ----
From: Renee <phoenix...@sbcglobal.net>
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group <mosaic@literacyworkshop.org >
Sent: Sunday, June 14, 2009 5:40:26 PM
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] ***SPAM*** Re: Do we really need to teach explicitstrategies?

Wow.
Here we are.... teachers.... discussing our own children trying to survive school.
Think about that.

Renee

On Jun 14, 2009, at 1:56 PM, Ljackson wrote:

Some people lack a grand scheme of anything., IMO. His old 4/5 teacher, now the math coach and among the coolest people I know, called him to tell him he knew all along that there was something really special about the way his brain worked. Had lots of examples of brilliant, successful artists and musicians with similar issues, and painted the picture in glowing and positive terms--how thinking outside the boz is what makes him who he is and puts him a unique position to succeed in very non-traditional ways. One look at my son, with his bleach-tipped hair dipping over one eye and his funky clothing choice tells me he was right, but hearing it from a teacher he (we!!) adored made all the difference in the world. And Isaac wants to be an artist/photographer/teacher, so he can use his understanding of how to understand differently to tremendous creative advantage--if he can survive high school. ;-=)

Lori Jackson