Reading with Meaning is my favorite book. To fit everything into the day,  I
think you have to be intentional in your teaching and think about what is
important, and what is
not. I think that when you start teaching you will need to see your
schedule, and
what works for you. Every day I have calendar time, reading workshop,
writing workshop, spelling, math, and social studies/science. I also like to
fit in a shared reading/read aloud time.  I don't always get to everything
every day, and I have to be flexible.
I also keep track of the students with small notebooks.  I use them to keep
running records and notes, but I don't get to write in them every day.
Kristine