"Does anyone have any suggestions as how they learned to balance the time
between teaching reading as well as incorporate math, science, social studies
etc in the classroom? Thanks in advance for your help!"

Lauren,
Therein lies the problem that plagues elementary teachers.  How do you fit it
all in?  Our reading department bought wonderful books by Bobbie Kalman that
support some of our science curriculum.  That has been a big help.  We are
hoping to do the same next year for social studies.  Unfortunately, we are
learning a new math program that takes about 1.5 hours per day to teach!  We
are left with little time for teaching anything besides reading, writing, and
math.

Leslie

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and
those who matter don't mind."
  ~ Dr. Seuss