I am required to use the HM reading series. At grade level 4 what they call phonics is not what I consider phonics. For instance ...base words, suffixes, contractions, word roots, and homophones. In my mind this is not phonics, I would call this word work.

Rosie

-----Original Message-----
From: Jackson,Jane A <jjac...@nwmissouri.edu>
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group <mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Sent: Wed, Jul 22, 2009 11:07 pm
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] phonics question- 2nd grade teacher

Phonic Instruction should be in all grades through grade 6.. and when done effectively will impact students reading when continued through grade 8... Spelling skills are increased -- word recognition and retention, as well as meaning are impacted. Look through the research. You will find that phonics is most effective when taught with direct explicit instruction - and then taken right into the text. Lesson on the spelling and formation of the mouth and sound
plus as students are older and you add affixes they directly change the
meanings. Phonics instruction at upper grades also allows the student to look at language origins. But, again -- each time there is instruction in phonics you must locate it in the book or passage you are reading and discuss it in context. That's where students make the connection between reading is writing -- writing
is for reading and spelling it appropriately makes it readable!