Me too.

Renee

On Jul 22, 2009, at 2:37 PM, Waingort Jimenez, Elisa wrote:

"During the whole language time"?
I am a Whole Language teacher in the present time.
Elisa

Elisa Waingort
Grade 2 Spanish Bilingual
Dalhousie Elementary
Calgary, Canada

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart.
—Helen Keller

Visit my blog, A Teacher's Ruminations, and post a message.
http://waingortgrade2spanishbilingual.blogspot.com/

Phonics is a necessary component of learning to read. You can't memorize all of the words in the English language. You need skills to know how to approach a words you don't know. I did a lot of subbing in the middle schools during the whole language time. The kids who had no phonics stood out and had no clue how to approach words they hadn't memorized.
Cindy/VA

"What was once educationally significant, but difficult to measure,
has been replaced by what is insignificant and easy to measure. So now we test how well we have taught what we do not value."
— Art Costa, emeritus professor, California State University